Taking Steps Toward Healthier, More Attractive Feet
The feet are perhaps one of the most overlooked parts of the body. But did you know that they are also some of your most important?
Don’t wait until something is wrong to give your feet extra attention. Keeping your feet feeling healthy and looking beautiful is easy. Here’s how:
- Inspect your feet regularly, being mindful of any changes in appearance, color and texture.
- Maintain good foot hygiene by washing and drying feet regularly.
- Choose proper shoes, and always wear the correct size.
- Keep feet dry to prevent bacterial infections by wearing moisture-wicking socks.
- Alternate shoes each day.
- Trim toenails straight across and gently file away sharp corners to prevent an ingrown.
- Avoid walking barefoot to prevent injury.
- When wearing sandals, remember to apply sunblock.
- If your feet hurt, don’t ignore the pain! Consult a San Pedro podiatrist if symptoms worsen or do not resolve.
If you have diabetes, you should pay extra attention to your feet as you are at a higher risk for developing foot problems due to nerve damage and poor circulation. Mild foot problems, such as ulcers, corns, cracked heels and ingrown toenails can turn into serious complications without proper care. Since even the smallest cut can have serious consequences, it is important that people with diabetes inspect their feet every day and visit their San Pedro podiatrist for routine exams.
When to Consult Precision Foot and Ankle Centers
If you are experiencing foot pain, don’t ignore it! Consult your podiatrist. Pain, redness, swelling or discoloration are not normal symptoms and should be examined by a trained foot specialist.